Obama Wanted a Corporate Tax Cut Too
A special thanks to Clemens Sialm and Jim Albertus for their expert advice on this episode.
– Corporate tax rates in the OECD http://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?DataSetCode=TABLE_II1.
– Study of corporate inversions: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/53093
– Congressional Research Service study on possible corporate tax reforms: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42726.pdf
Relevant academic papers:
– Albertus, James, Does Foreign Tax Arbitrage Promote Innovation? (December 2017). SSRN: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2691064
– Foley, C. Fritz, Jay Hartzell, Sheridan Titman, and Garry Twite. “Why Do Firms Hold So Much Cash? A Tax-Based Explanation.” Journal of Financial Economics 86, no. 3 (December 2007).
– Faulkender, Michael W. and Hankins, Kristine Watson and Petersen, Mitchell A., Understanding Precautionary Cash at Home and Abroad (September 2017). NBER Working Paper No. w23799. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3035145
– Djankov, Simeon, Tim Ganser, Caralee McLiesh, Rita Ramalho, and Andrei Schleifer. 2010. The effect of corporate taxes on investment and entrepreneurship. American Economic Journal:Macroeconomics 2(3): 31-64. doi:10.1257/mac.2.3.31
– Petersen, Mitchell A. and Faulkender, Michael W., Investment and Capital Constraints: Repatriations Under the American Jobs Creation Act (April 29, 2012). SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1364207